Monday, January 3, 2011

The Trouble With Numbers

Numbers....they can be good, or they can be bad.  It all depends on the context.  In sports, the higher the score, the better.  Except in golf.  When it comes to money, you usually want a higher number.  Unless it has to do with debt or the cost of something.  Age....I guess it has to do with your perspective.  And the same goes with clothes sizes.  Yuk.  I was stressing in a dressing room recently when the sales lady told me - it's just a number, it's just a number.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's just a number, but I don't like the number I'm seeing!  I don't even know what the number would be if I were to step on a scale, and I really don't want to know.  Kris, however, knows his number and doesn't like it.  I hate that those "calculators" online tell you that you're overweight.  Kris is NOT fat.  But since the calculator numbers tell him that he's not where he should be.....it's diet time.  I don't like the word 'diet'.  It is a word that is a part of our lives now - well, since yesterday.  So here come those numbers again.....calories, number of glasses of water, food scales, number of pounds dropped (hopefully).....  I just don't like some numbers!  It's a wonder I liked math in school so much.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I think about that all the time- you want a higher number when it comes to how much money you have and a lower number when it comes to weight. But somehow they are always switched. Sigh.

Unknown said...

I know....annoying.