Friday, October 25, 2013

Goodbye, Sweet Shelli

Well, today didn't go as planned.  I had to say goodbye to my almost thirteen year old dog.  I knew the day was coming (and soon).  I just didn't realize it was going to be today!

Shelli.....that precious little dog who really knew how to drive me crazy the past couple of years.  That precious little dog who has been with me through a lot.  My first teaching job.  Lonely days.  Happy days.  Marriage.  Moves.  Children.  Always there.  Always adoring me, even when I didn't necessarily have the time or energy for her.

We've known for several years that she had a heart murmur, but it wasn't so bad that we had to be concerned.  A few weeks ago, I didn't think she was going to make it through the night.  We took her to a clinic first thing in the morning, they did tests that said her heart was enlarged with fluid on her lungs.  It was suggested that we try heart meds and an antibiotic.  She seemed to be ok a week or so later.

Then this morning I took her to the groomer thinking that this afternoon we'd have her home all fresh and clean.

It was not to be.

The groomer called about an hour after dropping her off saying that she'd had a seizure, but they had her breathing.  I guess it didn't register how bad she was.  She wanted to know if she should take her to the vet for me.  I said that I'd come get her.  I called Kris, he said to just pick her up and he'd take care of things this afternoon.

When I got there, it was a pitiful sight.  I knew she wasn't going to last much longer.  I was at a loss and couldn't think straight - how was I going to get her to the vet with the two kids?  Poor pup couldn't sit up or walk....I didn't want her to die in my arms.  The groomer asked if I wanted her to go with me.  YES!  She was a lifesaver.  She held Shelli the whole way - talking to her and petting her.  She was like - you know, this is like losing my own.  I hadn't thought of that.  She's known Shelli almost as long as I have had her!

I am also appreciative of the vet - they were so quick getting us into a room and not wasting time with lots of questions.  We were in and out of the office within fifteen to twenty minutes.  How strange to have a dog be part of your life for almost thirteen years and then only have a few minutes with her at the end to say goodbye.

She was an annoying dog, yes.  But she was MY dog.  And she will be missed.

1 comment:

LeAnn Garza said...

I am very sorry, Traci. I will pray for you. I know how you feel.