Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday Afternoon....the Sights, Sounds, and Smells

My senses were in overdrive as I took Sadie for a walk this afternoon.  Homes had their curtains pulled back and windows open.  I love listening in on others' lives.  Call me nosy.  I won't deny it.  I could hear a violinist practicing in one home and a pianist in another.  Makes me wish I had a musical talent.  I know, I know, someone will probably tell me I shouldn't have given up on piano.

I'm glad that we live in such a family friendly neighborhood.  Fathers and sons were throwing a baseball in more than one yard.  Numerous families sped past me on bikes.  I could hear basketballs being bounced in driveways.  I saw kids drawing with sidewalk chalk.  There were congregations of young girls on the sidewalks.  I think it will be fun for Sadie to join in with neighbor friends one day.

There was the distinct smell of meat being charred on the grill somewhere.  With a touch of bbq sauce, I think.  I wish I could have found where that smell was coming from.  We need to become friends with those people!  The smell of fresh air.....

I could hear and see many flags flapping in the breeze in honor of President's Day.  Church bells in the distance proclaiming the hour, the jingle jangle of dog tags, an ice cream truck (and a mom telling her son that she knew he wanted some, but it wasn't very good ice cream and it was overpriced), squeals of kids at the park, neighbors gathered on a front porch swing.....and the faint snores of Sadie in the stroller.  For a moment I thought I was in Mayberry.

Spring is just around the corner, and life is good!

2 comments:

TERESA DUNN said...

Ahh, I want to come to Mayberry !

Elizabeth said...

This is a very poetic post- great writing!